1 We had the Torch crit on Friday. All PID staff including Mdm Tia was in the classroom to check out and all had contributed to the grades and placement of your torch designs.
2 This is the most democratic way of grading and is what we always practice.
3 It also means that results would not be biased or lop sided.
4 MOST IMPORTANTLY it also means that your grade is what all the staff feels is appropriate. If you have obtained a less than desired grade, you must think what is left out.
5 Perhaps you have not been well prepared or the work is overshadowed by the other student’s work once everyone shows their stuff.
6 The stand is important to show off your work to the best. I am pre empting that if a VIP does come to see your torch, there may be also photographers
7 I do not know for sure and can only guess but I hope you will all be prepared so that the photographer can do their job and capture the torches for what they are..
8 San Roye’s stand is recommended for Torches that cannot be drilled. Please consult if you have questions. Shyness is not something PID students are known for.
9 Cheris’s stand now is an example of how a torch can be made to stand even in an earthquake. Look at it. Learn
10 Leave the helpless stance out of your daily routine. You will know the value of resourcefulness and resilience when you start work.
11 You will encounter even more stressful situations when you grow older. Believe me. What you encounter now is just chicken feed.
The following pls make time to see me on Tuesday morning at 10 am :
Chloe, Jerlynn, Hui Yee, Bryan, Si Jin, Royston
The lady from You Studio is supposed to come in soon, I want to know we are ready to show her work. On Wednesday all will bring your A2 drawings in to show Dennis & myself what is your preferred design for her. She needs 2 designs and you have done some research on what is out there, now is the time to show her what your proposal is. You have used up 4 weeks to work on this concurrently with the torch and P Com D. there needs to be work done for this as well.
REMEMBER.
If you had trouble finishing the Torch then think carefully and pace yourself because there was only 1 P Board & a Torch.
Now 4 weeks later we have to have done:
Power Point for 3 items, Design management file, 2 finished models for You Studio & 1 finished mailbox, among other things like renderings of mailbox etc.
Things get tougher now. It get tougher when you do year 3.
REMEMBER
During CK’s time (lecturer Chee Koon) he made 3 or 4 different designs and all had to be working and finely finished because they need to be sold and work, to raise funds. If they did not work, they get knocked. Always use these examples as a frame of reference for yourself. Only by comparative studies can you guage yourself and better yourself. We cannot improve and be better if we do not use good examples to compare with.
I want to share a story with you:
The rope dart is a Northern Chinese weapon. I first saw it on Jet Li’s movie Shaolin Temple and wanted to learn it but there was no teacher in Singapore who knew how to teach it as we are Southern Boxing type, the population of Singaporeans being from Fukien, Kwangtung etc. I made myself study the moves from magazines and movies. This was the only way I could do it. I went through very single printed literature I could get my hands on. But I persevered and within a very short time I became good enough to demostrate it in front of 300 people at a Moon Cake festival function (pict 1) I also did a demo at the Ching Wu Athletic Organization In Neil Road (the branch of the school started in Shanghai by Hou Yuan Jia, see Fearless by Jet Li). In pict 2 I am flanked by China Champion Chao Chang Chin & Praying Mantis expert Tang Lai Wei, both classmates of Jet Li in The Beijing Wushu School. In pict 3 that’s me doing a stance with the rope dart. This is no empty talk, it’s real.
I learnt the rope dart all by myself in 1 month and did it so well to do all the above. How? Because I believed in myself and worked at it.
YOU CAN DO IT if you worked hard. Sometimes results do not come as quickly but they will show. YOU CAN DO IT.
(suspose to have 3 photos at the end of this email i din put. hahahs. i think is his photos when he was younger.)
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment